The world today is racing ahead on the super highway of information technology. Technology is the fuel that’s driving growth and innovation across many industries, and there is no limit to the possibilities that can be manifested by the use of technology.
Information technology or IT is a broad field that comprises software and hardware design and support, administration and operations, programming, multimedia and more. Studying IT will enable you to design, coordinate and manage the computer technology needs of any kind of organization – from a business to a social sector enterprise, education, healthcare, welfare and even the government.
Information technology is a fast-evolving dynamic field that is expanding at an accelerating pace and is likely to continue at this pace. This opens up a huge scope for students interested in computers and technology. And Australia is a preferred destination for many to study IT, as it has some of the world’s best universities when it comes to courses in Computer Science and Information Technology.
Depending on the course you select, here are some the core subjects you might learn:
- Communication & Information Management
- Computer Systems
- Computer Programming
- Computer Networking
- Computer Support Systems
- Network Security
- IT Management
- Software Design & Development
- And many more
- Certificate III in Information Technology
- Certificate IV in Information Technology
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Advanced Diploma in Information Technology
- Associate Degree in Information Technology
- Bachelor of Information Technology
- Graduate Certificate in Information Technology
- Graduate Diploma in Information Technology
- Master of Information Technology
- Professional Doctorate in IT
Depending upon the program selected, there are different entry requirements, as under:
- For the Certificate Courses: Year 11 / Diploma or Foundation Program
- For the Bachelor Courses: Year 12 / Diploma or Foundation Program
- For the Master Degree: Bachelor degree from Australia / equivalent degree + work experience (for some universities)
- Students must have taken the IELTS with an overall score of 6.5 and no individual component score below 6
- A score of 58 in the Pearson Test of English Academic (PTE) with a communicative skill score of 50 and above
The course duration varies from 1 year to 3 years, depending on the course chosen.
On completion of an accredited degree, students can apply for membership to the Australian Computer Society, which is Australia’s professional group for the ICT sector. To become a member, students must submit an application for certification and have their skills, competencies and qualifications assessed.
Yes, Australian courses in IT allow students to transfer credits from earlier courses, as well earn some credits for work experience. This will help save time, effort and course costs, as it will help avoid repetition. Moreover, the students will get a chance to focus on the units that they wish to learn and gives more time for practical work.
These courses prepare and allow students to work in various roles, like:
- Web Developer
- Software Developer
- Technical Officer
- IT Support Specialist
- ICT Business Analyst
and many more
This can be best understood by looking at the average salaries of those who have studied this course:
Work Experience – Average Salary
0 – 5 years – $ 64,649
5 – 10 years – $ 79,559
10 – 20 years – $ 90,486
The Professional Year Program is a very good program aimed to bridge the path between study and employment. This program was originally designed to address the skilled resources shortage in Australia and increase the employability of international graduate students by providing industry experience that would help them improve their own skills and knowledge. Developed by the Australian Computer Society, allows for good professional hands-on experience, and includes a minimum of 44 weeks training, comprising of a 12-week industry internship. The best part about this is that every student completing this training earns 5 points towards Permanent Residency in Australia.
This program has been recognized by the Department of Immigration and Border Protection and increases the chances of approval for PR status.
At Bajwa Immigration, we hand hold you throughout the process from selecting the right course and university, building your career and migrating to Australia.